Silk is a beautiful and luxurious fabric made from the fibers of silk worm cocoons. It is a fine and delicate yet strong fiber with a shimmering appearance that comes from the triangular prism like structure of the silk fiber. This structure allows silk cloth to refract incoming light at different angles and produce different colors. It is very versatile and can drape beautifully or have amazing structure depending on the weave.
Felicity Silk Button Down Shirt
However, commercial production of silk is not very ethical and involves killing the silk worms while they are still in the cocoon. This is so longer strands of silk can be extracted as opposed to shorter strands if the worms were to emerge and break the cocoon. Due to this, we are in the process of trying to source Peace Silk or Ahimsa Silk. This alternative silk is made through a humane process that allows the silk worm to emerge before the fibers from the cocoon are harvested. As we search for the right source and fabric, please be patient with us. Ahimsa Silk is still not widely known or produced and proving difficult to find on a wholesale level. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Care: Because silk is an extremely delicate fiber we recommend dry cleaning for best results and extending the life of the garment. However, it can also be hand washed if done carefully.
1. Wash in cold water with a gentle detergent. Never use bleach. It is best to wash one item at a time so the garment has room to move around the sink and doesn't get bunched up.
2. Let it soak for 5 to 10 minutes and swish it around a couple times.
3. Ball it up to remove moisture, never wring out silk as it can weaken the fibers.
4. Then lay it flat on a thick towel and roll up to absorb the rest of the water.
5. Finally, reshape and lay out to air dry.
To remove wrinkles it is best to use a steamer. However, if you don't have one you can use an iron as well. Turn the garment inside out and iron on low to medium heat. Use a pressing cloth and only iron when dry as ironing while still wet or damp can cause water stains.